It’s not very often I get the chance to share an amazing recipe, but today is a rare treat!
Feast your eyes and lips on this Pecan cake recipe!
The recipe is completely free of gluten, wheat and all other inflammatories. Every ingredient contains health boosting properties, as you’ll see!
- Approximately 150 grams of organic fairtrade Coconut flour (gluten free, low carbohydrate and high fiber)
- 3 tablespoons of Blackstrap molasses (treacle) – pure cane/natural
- Approximately 50 grams of Pecan nuts
- 2 Free range duck eggs
- 0.5 litres of water
- 20 grams of Goji berries
- Handful of Brazil nuts
- 2 tablespoons of mixed spice (Schwartz)
- 20 grams of flaked Almonds
- 3 teaspoons of Coconut oil
- 3 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- Large glass mixing bowl
- Measuring jug
- Deep cake tin (around 3 inches deep)
- Pastry brush
- Wooden spoon
- Ramekin (to melt Coconut oil)
- Spoons (tablespoon and teaspoon)
Instructions for cooking:
- Measure out approximately 150 grams of Coconut flour and sift it with the sieve into the mixing bowl.
- Add 2 table spoons of mixed spice to the bowl.
- Add 2 free range duck eggs to the mixture.
- Also add 3 teaspoons of vanilla extract to the mixture.
- Fill the measuring jug with 500 ml of water and keep adding water until you achieve the ideal consistency (not too lumpy, nor too runny)
- Add 3 tablespoons of blackstrap Molasses.
- Using another small bowl, add 20 grams of Goji berries and fill the bowl with boiling water, then leave to sit for ten minutes.
- Once ten minutes has elapsed, drain the liquid from the bowl with the berries and tip them into the mixture.
- Using a wooden spoon, thoroughly mix all the ingredients in your mixing bowl together.
- Place 3 teaspoons of virgin Coconut oil into a ramekin and place into a microwave, lightly heating for a minute to a minute and a half.
- Once the Coconut oil is nicely melted, pour it into your cake tin (around 3 inches of depth is ideal)
- Using a pastry brush, spread the Coconut oil around the entire diameter of the tin – to prevent any possible sticking.
- Pre-heat your oven to 160 degrees.
- Pour the mixture into the cake tin, once the surface is all level, add 20 grams of flaked Almonds to the surface.
- Place your cake tin into the pre-heated oven on the middle shelf.
- Leave to bake for around 50 minutes to an hour (Whilst checking in 15 minute intervals as oven power often varies)
- Also, when your cake has around 20 minutes of cooking time remaining, add 50 grams of Pecan nuts and a handful of Brazil nuts to the surface (this prevents the nuts from being over-cooked and burnt)
- Once the cake is cooked, leave to cool for at least an hour to prevent the cake from crumbling before serving.
There you have it, a healthy and delicious cake that is perfect for post training or even perhaps a paleo-friendly treat meal!
Every ingredient has nutritional value to it – NO empty calories whatsoever!
Since when did cakes have to be “bad”?
The 'brains' behind StraightTalkingFitness, a site all about discovery that leads to strength in all formats; fitness, mental, emotional and spiritual. Everything starts from within and projects outwards. Master the body, master anything and everything.